Sometimes circumstances can be against us in the worst possible way which may hamper our emotional state of mind. Feeling low once in a while is quite natural but if you are feeling low for a continued period of time then it is time that you accept that you might be suffering from depression. What our general notion has become that you just need to take care of your physical health. It can prove very dangerous as your physical as well as your mental health plays equal roles in smooth and efficient functioning. Hence it must be made very clear that if you are going through any emotional upheaval which is getting out of your hand to control, you need to seek proper medical consultation.
It is given that your emotional and physical health is connected, as change in one can have effect on another. Hence depression and anxiety can cause insomnia, headaches and also various digestive disorders. Depression has become more common now-a-days due to the ever increasing stress and a fast paced life.
What is depression according to Ayurved?
Depression can be related with ‘Unmad’, which is a psychiatric disorder according to Ayurved. Satva, Raja and Tama are the 3 energies associated with one’s Psych. Imbalance of these energies along with Tridosha-Vata, Pitta and Kapha results in this disorder.
What are the signs and symptoms?
- Sleep disturbances
- Difficulty to concentrate
- Social isolation
- Digestive problems.
What are the causes of Depression?
- Adversity in childhood
- Certain life events or changes such as childbirth, menopause, unemployment, work stress, loss of loved one, grave medical issue etc.
- Excessive dependence on Alcohol, Sedatives, Opioids, Stimulants etc.
- Mental stress
- Improper food habits
Line of treatment according to Ayurved
At Ayurved Health Clinic, various Ayurvedic treatments such as Oral medication, Panchkarma treatments and diet and lifestyle consultation are given.
Improper food habits, addictions, lack of discipline in personal as well as professional life etc. should be clearly stated during consultation as they play a huge role in prescribing the correct treatment
- Oral medication such as Prasham tablets, Jatamansi Ghana vati, Brahmivati etc.
- Panchakarma treatments such as Vaman, Virechana, Basti, Nasya, Shirodhara etc.
- Massage with medicated oils
- Relaxing and rejuvenating treatments such as Rasayana such as Brahmi, Vacha and Sarasvatarishtam etc.
- Exercises such as Yoga, Pranayam etc.
It needs to be understood that Depression is a disorder and it be should treated the same way as other diseases are and should not be taken lightly, that is why a certain type of lifestyle is advised to get your life back on track.
Diet & Lifestyle management
- Eat fresh, light, organic foods such as fresh fruits, vegetables etc.
- Maintain regular timings for eating. Meals should be taken in relaxed, pleasant atmosphere
- Moderate exercises
- Reading good literature, Spiritual literature, Prayers etc. help in relaxation of Mind.
- Yoga, Pranayam& Meditation are extremely useful in maintaining psychological balance
- Improper food habits such as intake of stale, fermented foods, Meats, Junk foods, Alcohol etc.
- Late night sittings
- Excessive indulgence in sexual activities
- Mental stress, anxiety, anger etc.
The fear of being depressed even though when you are not can put you in depression and hence it should be looked into. Contact Ayurved Health Clinic if you want to know more about Depression or any other disorders and we guarantee that you would leave with satisfaction.