It is given that if your lifestyle is sedentary, you will get inflicted with various disorders. Constipation is one of them. It should be understood that internal well-being of your body is greatly determined by the external maintenance of yourself.
Constipation implies failure to evacuate waste matter from the body, on a regular basis. Constipation is not a disease but a symptom which includes infrequent bowel movements or difficulty during defecation or sensation of incomplete bowel evacuation.
What is Constipation according to Ayurveda?
Constipation can be correlated with Mala-avastambha. It is not described as a specific disease in Ayurveda, but it manifests as a symptom in various diseases. According to Ayurveda, basically it is a Vata disorder. Vitiated Pitta & Vitiated Kapha may also accompany Vata dosha resulting in dried stools or Mucus congested stools respectively.
What are the causes of Constipation?
- Foods which are heavy to digest, dry, cold, astringent, bitter, stale, fermented foods
- Sleeping very late at nights, sleeping during day time
- Over exercising or No exercise, both conditions affect the bowel movements
- Suppressing natural urges such as defecation, passing gas etc.
- Psychological causes such as mental stress, grief, sorrow etc.
- Frequent usage of Laxatives & Purgatives
- Intestinal obstruction by foreign body
- Worm infestation
Signs & Symptoms
- Bloating in abdomen
- Passing of stools more than once
- Difficulty in passing stools; stools may be hard or mucoid
- Abdominal pain, Heartburn
Line of treatment as per Ayurveda
- Internal medication
- In severe constipation, Panchakarma treatment such as Basti an be given.
- Maintenance of proper Diet
- Moderate exercises such as Yoga.
Dietary & Lifestyle management for Constipation
- A glass of warm milk along with a tsp of Ghee at the time of bedtime
- Soak black raisins overnight & consume the pulp & water
- Adequate roughage should be included in diet such as whole grains or bran
- Spices which balances the digestion such as Asafoetida, Fennel, Ginger etc.
- Various Yoga postures help in pacifying Vata dosha hence helps in relieving constipation.
- Beans, Dry grains, dry type of foods
- Fermented foods, Meats, spicy foods
- Heavy to digest foods such as Yogurt, Cheese etc.
- Staying up very late at Night
- Over exercising
At Ayurved Health Clinic, permanent remedies for Constipation are provided. Diet and lifestyle management is also provided.