Cancer is today by far the most feared disease of all. If contracted, the person is broken down physically, mentally, socially and emotionally. The symptoms and the treatment for cancer can be very painful. But Ayurveda follows treatment techniques wherein the patient undergoes only minimal amount of pain but produces miraculous results.
Uncontrolled growth of cells is characteristic feature of Cancer. These cells are able to invade other tissues also. These abnormal cells are called as cancer cells or tumor cells. Cancer has largely remained incurable due to its complexity and its ability to spread rapidly & uncontrollably.
Tumors can be of 2 types: Benign & Malignant.
Benign tumors are not cancerous. These cells do not spread to other part of the body. They can be removed; in most cases recurrence does not take place.
Malignant tumors are cancerous. They can invade nearby tissues & can spread to other parts of the body. This is called as Metastasis.
What is cancer according to Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, cancer can be related with Granthi or Arbuda. Benign tumors can be related with Granthi whereas malignant tumors can be related with Arbuda.
In Granthi, vitiation of Tridosha- Vata, Pitta & Kapha is seen. In Arbuda, the tumors are hard mass along with dominance of Kapha dosha is seen.
What are the causes of Cancer?
- Physical carcinogens: Radiation such as X-Ray, Gamma rays etc.
- Chemical carcinogens: Asbestos, Tobacco smoke, Aflatoxin [a food contaminant] & Arsenic
- Biological carcinogens: Infections from certain viruses, bacteria or parasites
- Ageing is also one of the main factors for Cancer as the incidence of cancer rises with age.
- Alcohol, Unhealthy food habits, Physical inactivity
- Chronic infections such as Hep. B, Hep C, Human Papilloma Virus etc.
Signs & Symptoms
Cancer symptoms are quite varied. They depend upon location, spread & size of the tumor. Some Cancers can be felt or seen through the skin viz. a lump on the Breast/Testicle. Skin cancer can be noted by observing changes in mole/wart on the skin. Some Oral cancer can be assessed by presence of white patches inside the mouth/tongue.
Cancer cells use body’s energy and interfere with normal body functions. Hence presence of symptoms such as Fever, Fatigue, Excessive sweating, Anemia & Excessive weight loss can be seen.
Additional symptoms may be observed due to metastasis of cancer in newly affected area such as swollen or enlarges lymph nodes. These symptoms ultimately depend upon the location to which the cancer has spread.
Line of treatment according to Ayurveda
At Ayurved Health Clinic, effective treatment is provided for cancer, focusing on principles of detoxification & rejuvenation.
- Detoxification by Panchakarma treatment depending upon location, spread & condition of the patient
- Oral Ayurvedic medication
- Rasayana treatment [Immunotherapy]
- Diet & Lifestyle management
- Yoga & Pranayam as per need & condition of the patient
Diet & Lifestyle management
- Eating fresh, nourishing, organic foods
- Moderate Exercises
- Minimum 7 hrs sleep
- Very high fat diet such as dairy, meats etc.
- Foods which are heavy for digestion, foods containing artificial colours etc.
- Smoking, Alcohol
- Physical inactivity
- Mental stress
Early detection & early medical/surgical interventions are the key factors in combating Cancer effectively. Also Ayurveda treatment at early stage of Cancer is more helpful. It can be combined with Chemotherapy or Radiotherapy to reduce the side-effects. Ayurveda treatment is based on either removal of vitiated dosha from the body or Pacification of vitiated Dosha. At Ayurved Health Clinic, we thrive to support the patient physically as well as mentally for speedy recovery.