Anaphylaxis – Allergies
Allergies are one of the primary reasons to contract many diseases. Many people are allergic to different kinds of things. We should be well-known about what kind of allergies we have and stay away from any sort of harmful product or thing that may cause complications. There are kinds of allergies wherein if serious action is not taken, the results can be fatal.
Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction with rapid onset. It typically causes an itchy rash, throat or tongue swelling, shortness of breath, vomiting, light headedness, low blood pressure.
What is Anaphylaxis according to Ayurved?
Allergic reaction can be related in general with the concept of Aam i.e. undigested digestive juice. Every piece of undigested food which is absorbed in the body is Aam. The immune system can identify certain substances which cause formation of Aam in the body such as Peanuts, Cashews, Pork, and Cheese etc. if one is exposed to a substance over and over again, this imperfectly digested food forms Aam. In due time the Aam accumulates so much in the body that as soon as the same food item is consumed the body reacts to it and results in Allergic reaction.
Sheeta Pitta [Hives] is one of the types of Allergic reaction according to Ayurved.
What are the causes of Anaphylaxis?
- Insect bites
- Food items such as Peanuts, Cashews, Shellfish, Eggs, Milk etc.
- Medication such as Penicillin followed by Aspirin and NSAIDS
Signs and Symptoms
- Skin related symptoms such as generalized hives, itchiness, flushing or swelling
- Runny nose
- Swelling of conjunctiva
- Respiratory symptoms such as shortness of breath, hoarseness, pain during swallowing
- Low blood pressure
- Loss of consciousness
- Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea, Vomiting
Line of treatment according to Ayurved
Avoidance of trigger for Anaphylaxis is recommended. Severe allergic reactions should be treated as a medical emergency.
At Ayurved Health Clinic, allergic reactions are treated by following Ayurvedic treatments
- Fasting to counteract Aam
- Digestive medication for digestion of Aam such as Bhaskarlavan, Shankhavati, Hingvashtakchoorna etc.
- Massage with medicated oils
- Steam, Pindaswedana
- Oral medication for pacification of vitiated dosha
- Panchkarma treatments such as Vaman, Virechan, Basti etc.
Diet and Lifestyle management
- Eating fresh, organic foods such as farm fresh vegetables, Fresh fruit juices, split pulses, boiled rice etc
- Use of Honey instead of Sugar in regular diet
- Maintenance of Digestion
- Consuming warm water regularly
- Moderate exercises
- Excessive intake of Sour/Salty/Spicy foods, Alcohol
- Consuming cold water
- Suppressing natural urges especially Vomiting
- Exposure to very cold weather
- Sleeping in day time
Accurate diagnosis and successful management of allergies is very essential. Call Ayurved Health Clinic and put a check on any kind of allergies you face.